Wednesday, June 5, 2013

11. One Thing After Another

One thing leads to another..

So, my weekly adventure at Yale started on Sunday afternoon this week.  I woke up to no vision in my right eye. This didn't worry me as much as one would have thought because i hear its quite common with MS.  Besides, with my migraine a week ago I lost all sensation along the right side of my head, from the middle of my head, across my face, down half my tongue and my  neck. So, I kind of for saw something coming.  Within a few hours 'my team' had an optometrist bedside to do a full eye exam. Yes, that is why are are here, no fooling around. On a Sunday day morning none the less.
   Fortunately he saw nothing wrong with my eye itself but maybe in the myelin or some swelling in the optic nerve. I was just happy to have another one at that point.  He did say I would have to go to the clinic tomorrow for a full exam.  Now, the clinic is in t
he same hospital, but seems on the other end of the earth and due to my dizziness Anderson lack of balance it would be my first ride in a wheelchair, not a stretchr.  So, way out of my comfort zone.
Within  a matter of hours, my third MRI was scheduled (2 MRIs  and 1 CAT SCAN).  This was to be the most tedious of all.  It was ordered for brain, eyes and complete spinal cord, with contrasts.  That translates to 2 1/2 hours of laying completely still.  If you know me at all... still is not one of my strong points.
  It is about now I begin to wonder how mu h one human is meant to bear. Because just when I think im at my max, I keep trudging.  I also have to strongly interject here that this is when I get  little note saying your thinking of me, or flowers, or you spend time with my precious children when I cant, that keeps me going.
    There were times when both my parents had bouts of serious illness that , if I knew how much it would have meant to them to slow down my life a little and show them some more support...well I regret not, but im a different person now.
So, back to my events.. since the vision loss popped up,, they thought I needed yet another round of IV Solumedrol (steroids) which brings on blood sugar finger pricks and possible insulin.  Now im up to about 6 blood sticks a day.. for about the past month.  Thats heparin shots,  finger pricks, labs,  catheter changes and the big one, the pheresis dagger.
  Speaking of which, I still had that treatment to go, which I dont like at all.  It is just completely unnatural.   I do believe I am beginning to accept it as a necessary evil.
That was my Sunday/Monday.


Destiny is found in two days
One that seems for you
And one that seems against you
So when things seem easy
Dont be proud or careless
And when things are difficult
Be patient!

        Hadat 'Ali

1 comment:

  1. xoxoxo Wow, Tina. You continue to go through so very much. I'm glad that you think about the cards, notes, flowers, etc, from you friends and family. Everyone is sending you good wishes, good vibes, prayers, and good thoughts.

    ReplyDelete