Sunday, June 30, 2013

17. Settling In

I did it.  I got my first Tysabri infusion.  I might have well been getting a leathal injection, for I already feel the white matter in my brain turning to mush.  I feel memory loss and muscle cramping and weakness ...  OK, maybe it is just psychological.  Maybe I am OK and this drug is the best choice, but I am still hesitant. The process went well.   The infusion took an hour and then they monitored me for an hour.  Hopefully this will put and new symptoms at bay and let me recover from the old stuff.
I still have both Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy twice a week.  I work on my balance, making my muscles stronger and basic walking with my Physical Therapist.  With my Occupational Therapist, I work on keeping symmetry of my facial muscles, eye tracking and hand coordination.  Things that used to come easy are now quite a challenge.  The OT put out a pattern of pennies for me to flip over , and timed me doing it.  It almost brought me to a sweat.  Hopefully these things will get easier.  My two biggest challenges right now are my balance(or lack there of) and the numbness in my face.  Im hoping that since the facial thing is just nerves, that they will repair.  Though, it has been a month already since I lost feeling.  I wonder.  I still get pins and needles in my hands and feet but that doesn't entirely bother me.  I can live with it.  I did finally just wean off the steroids the day before yesterday(after approx 5 rounds in 2 months).  So, hopefully I will notice some good changes there.
Meanwhile, I have been trying to make my life easier and more comfortable at home.  I buckled down and got a patio set so I can sit in the shade comfortably outside and watch the kids, working on putting in a doggie ramp from the deck so I can let the dog out myself.(its one thing needing so much help, but to have to page someone because the dog needs to go out is just a little much)....and, of course, our dog is a runner so you cant just let her out the front door and expect her to come back.  She will run and run until she finds something dead to roll in, then go to the nearest house to call for a ride home.  Lovely, I know.

\
We,  as a family, are adjusting to cooking our own meals.  Our friends, church and community are so gracious that we haven't had to prep and cook a meal in almost 2 months.  Its a rough transition though.  Now, at 5pm we are all looking at each other wondering what we are going to eat.  I have to get my butt in gear and do some meal planning.
My days, though I don't leave home, with the exception of doctors appointments, fly by.  I help a bit watching the kids, a bit in the kitchen, care for my flowers and 'garden', PT, OT, watch my beautiful new fish and, most importantly rest.  I have been tolerating more visiting.  So, if you are so inclined, give a call and stop by for a visit.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment