Monday, July 20, 2015

Sunday

Sunday.  Smooth Jazz Brunch on the radio.  Cleaning the house is my task for today.  Not just cleaning, like..toothbrush, toothpick, under, over, behind cleaning.  No room is left untouched.  Sometimes it is worse than others. Sometimes it is just Sunday cleaning...sometimes it is like this Sunday.   This Sunday, it was the house, sunporch, decks, garage... Then comes dinner.  It has to be perfect. Labor intensive five star perfect and with wine to pair, of course.  It is my favorite day.  THIS is what I love...and the more kids running around during the process the better.

Today is Monday.  I feel like I've been beaten, run over, left for dead.  Every muscle aches from the top of my neck down to my feet.  I still haven't figured it out.  It is almost like self-inflicted punishment but I don't know what for.  I LOVE it.  I always remember, back when I managed the vineyard, how many cleaners I never had return because I could do a better job myself...and I did...don't get me wrong.  I just thing somehow..its punishment.  

Besides cleaning my house ( :-) ) I have achieved some other accomplishments this week.

I took the family to ECAD Dobbs Ferry, NY to re-certify Crane.  Every year I must pass our Public Access Exam and other ECAD requirements in order to keep Crane in my possession and be legal to bring her into public places with me.  One of the requirements is weight.  The dogs can be no more or no less than 5lbs from the weight at graduation.  Crane's weight was 64lbs at graduation.  At testing she weighed in at 66lbs.  Those of you with Labs and Retrievers know how difficult this is.  As far as the Public Access Exam, Crane was a star.  At one point the instructor had us go up an elevator (loading and unloading from it correctly).  She had me bring Crane to one end of the hall, give her the "down-stay" command and walk all the way to the far end of the building.  She told me I had to turn and face Crane, call her to me and get her in the "side" or "heal" position.  Oh, and also.....there was beef jerky in 2 locations between her and I.  ...  ...  Great .. ... Oh, and by the way, if she eats it....I fail.
Here goes nothing.  I turn, call Crane, and what does she do?  She stops....at the jerky....she sniffs...  I tell her NO sternly.  She opens her mouth....  She reaches down..... She grabs her leash and she comes running right at me, gives me her leash and lines up on my blind side without me even having to tell her the command.  THAT is my dog.  THAT is who she is!  Not only did she pass, the trainers were slightly sad that she did not even look at them, acknowledge them.  They are the ones that made her who she is.  So. I took off her vest and gave her the "release" command and she licked and jumped al over them like she was a pup again,  :)  They then issued us our new license and off to Legoland we went!!
I also had the Tirerack Street Survival experience this week.  The class was held at Thompson Motor Speedway.  It is meant for teen drivers.  To make them realize the unexpected scenarios that can happen while driving and how to properly handle them.  I have been driving fine since the vision loss in my right eye.  I always have driven safely...So I think.  I've had my license for 24 years and have one accident on record.  I also have three young kids.  So, "I think" isn't good enough for me. I wanted to make sure I can still react quick in unforeseen incidents.  This class was perfect.  The classroom stuff....it was like teen driver's ed, but out on the track..that was a different story.  They had us do 4 different driving exercises: Panic braking, slalom, skid pad and emergency lane change.  They all put the driver and car to the test.  I got to see how fast my car accelerated from a standstill and then how fast I could get it to stop in a straight line.  I was able to experience weight load ratio as it affects the potential of roll over.  I tested my skills on making a split decision with emergency lane changes.  Then, there was my favorite, the skid pad.  The fire department flooded the skid pad and we were able to see how much it would take for our cars to break loose and loose traction.  Exhilarating!  Well, as exhilarating as it can get in a minivan :).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AfDHF8pMww

So now what?  Nothing great.  I go to Yale this week.  It is my annual MRI and Neurology appointment.  Among other issues, my treatment with Tysabri will come up.  Recommended treatment period is 2 yrs.  I am soon approaching that.  So, I need to choose whether to increase my risk of PMI, this non-curable brain degrading disease or try my luck at another treatment.  Yay.  
I will keep you posted
Until then, here's some extra reading material by yours truly.
 http://mymsaa.org/publications/motivator/winter-spring15/inspire/
www.mybeautifullifewithms.com


No comments:

Post a Comment