Friday, March 25, 2016

Taking on life

A cold, rainy day sets the tone for my 28 day infusions today.  I would normally take this as some type of omen, a storm, gloomy, damp.  Today, however, its just weather.  It's a good excuse to curl up in a heated chair, warm blanket and with my "friends" here at Yale.  These infusions, besides serving to prevent future MS lesions are a mental reminder for me that I am not invincible.  Lately, this is one of very few reminders.  If it weren't for blindness in my right eye and the nerve damage to the right side of my face it might be easy for me to occasionally forget I have this incurable restraint on my life.
Seriously though, I am stable and strong and energetic.  I am optimistic and active.  I work out every day and can even jog on the treadmill (I'm only up to 1 minute increments but it's something).  I play with the kids in the yard.  I carry the full laundry baskets up and down the stairs.  I even just "renovated" our sunroom by hanging and trimming in beadboard.



 I can thread the needle on the sewing machine, wear small heels and have even thought about getting a bike so I can ride with the kids.  It really is truly amazing.  I have felt so good that I have decided to leave Crane, my service dog, at home sometimes.  Though I'm not completely sure if it is to avoid the grief of being illegally questioned and prevented from going places that she is allowed to go or if it is because I just want to look normal.  There's something to be said about just blending into the crowd, knowing people aren't looking at me and wondering why I have a service dog.  Crane is not as pleased as I am with this freedom.  She got so upset at being left home few weeks ago that she chewed the hair off her front legs.  That gave me an idea, a revelation.  One of the highlights of Amelia's hospital stay was a large white "golden doodle" that came around to visit the kids.  Crane and I both LOVE kids... Though I'm sure I don't have to tell you all that ;-).  So, I researched therapy dogs.  I took the online course and now we are scheduled for an evaluation to become a "therapy team".  This will allow us to go to the Children's Hospital and cheer up some kids. During my training course, I had another moment of clarity.  One chapter of material covered the differences between Animal Assisted Therapy and Animal Assisted Activities.  They went on to teach how Animal Assisted Activities can help people to regain skills of walking, balance, range of motion......and I thought... how selfish of me to think I suddenly, spontaneously feel stronger and more stable.  It was probably Crane's doing.  Her walking beside me for 2 years, balancing me when I need it.  It was her that began to give me the confidence and reassurance while my vision adjusted.  She was the one to train my eyes to see what was safe ground and where to step.
 After all that she has done, I return the favor by leaving her at home?  I felt awful.  So, getting registered as a Therapy Team is kind of a thank you for her. Besides, no matter how good I feel, there are always times that it is much easier for her to watch the kids.

Speaking of kids, mine are doing wonderfully.  Amelia is completely recovered from her surgery experience.  I am almost there myself.  We are both taking on life to its fullest and plan to conquer much much more :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment