Friday, June 5, 2015

"Living The Dream"....

     I recently visited the website of an old friend. They invite the "everyday person" to live the "good life".  They offer to bring "these people" opportunities usually only available to the "inner circle".  Yeah...  I kid you not!  This friend's statement of "living the dream" always struck a nerve with me.  Maybe because I was a single mom struggling to get by and provide the best I could for my daughter and I.  Or maybe because this phrase he used wasn't used as I would use it, but as an elitist.  I think he thinks everyone's idea of "living the dream" is "living HIS dream".  I am Living The Dream too.  I have an amazing family, incredible kids, a wonderful home, great neighborhood, etc....  I could go on but you all know my motto, My Beautiful life, with m.s..  I can guarantee the majority of people that know me would not want MY dream, MY beautiful life.
  On the other end of the spectrum,  I also hear other people talk and judge in regards to disability.  I suppose I used to do this as well.  As I said in my last blog, in words of a friend: There are just things you don't understand until you are humbled.  I used to think "why are THEY on disability?".  They are taking advantage of the system.  Well, now here I sit, on the other side of the fence.  Most people that see me, I am SURE would disagree that I should be on disability with ALL the things I can do. After all, I look fine.  However, everyone's situation is deeper than just a look.  Could I get a job?  Probably. Would it be difficult? Extremely.  Could I do the job I used to before MS?  Not a chance.  People on the outside see what they want.  They do not see the things I CANNOT do.  Some days I cannot walk. Some days my vision is so off that I do not drive and I cannot type because I hit the wrong keys.  Same with filing papers, I just cannot see straight enough to differentiate between files.  I cannot do simple things in my life, like bike, or skate, or even run.  Take a second and imagine that!  I have 3 kids.  I c-a-n-n-o-t run, bike or skate with them. Sure, we do other things and I boast that fact because there are only "other things" that I can do with them.  That is a price I pay.  That is a price I pay to be able to be home with my children and get the small amount of Federal Income the government thinks I need to get by.  I make the best of it.  As a matter of fact, I am SO good at making the best of it that I honestly feel I am LIVING THE DREAM.  Huh.  Look at that.  Full circle!
More to come soon.....

No comments:

Post a Comment