Saturday, June 8, 2013

10. The Fifth Element

A pack of 6 dogs to go to the grocery store for a gallon of milk... grrr..

So I buy a big fancy tablet to have voice prediction so that I can speak so into my computer without using my somewhat paralyzed hands. Then, of course, my tongue itself becomes paralyzed and the sentences come out sounding more like the first.

Thank goodness for my wonderful husband. By now you know how wonderful he is from what i say. He does not read my blog. I don't know why, I have had asked him. Maybe he will someday when the kids ask him to or when we are on a beach somewhere when my book pays for our trip but for now just him typing for me makes everything ok in my world. We have been through a lot in the past week through many hospitals and many ambulance rides, it's landed us at Yale New Haven Hospital. I feel like we have checked into The Fifth Element, you know, that 1997 Bruce Willis movie with an orb of higher intelligence. Its really amazing.

I can tell you that COW here has a totally differnt meaning a COW back in Goshen. I'm use to a cow being well, a cow. But here, its a computer on wheels and every nurse has one. You just ring their personal phone number ad they zip up on their COW to help you with any need. The food service is more like room service as you can order anytime you want anything that you want. Its like a 5 star hotel. As far as the dctors go, I no longer have a doctor, I have a team. They transcend down around my bed like a basketball team going over the next  strategy,  all in their white lab coats. I know some of them are students and lab coats are just to maintain continuity of the team however they each have their own name on them, so they must have done something to get them. Never mind, they take extraordinary care of me.

I am currently undergoing a process called plasmapheresis http://www.nationalmssociety.org/about-multiple-sclerosis/what-we-know-about-ms/treatments/medications/plasmapheresis-plasma-exchange/index.aspx which they take some of your blood out, filter some of it out, put something in add it back and your blood to make new antibodies. Its a crazy scientific process. But its supposed to make me feel much better sooner.  I have only had two out of five and I can already sit up for first time in a week and walk short distances with assistance. I could also sit up without losing my sense of balance and don't have a screaming headache. Which is a welcome treat.

I still have not seen my family on my children in sis which they take some of your blood out, filter some of it out, put something in add it back and your blood to make new antibodies. As a crazy scientific process. But its supposed to make me feel much better sooner.  I have only had to get to 5 at can I already set up for first time in a week and walk short distances with assistance. I could also set up without losing my sense of balance and don't have a screaming headache. Which is a welcome treat.I still have not seen my family on my children in a week or more but I know my recovery will be much faster with that. I told them I'm not coming home until I can take care of them.  I have to leave that to family and community now.  right now it's just a point of waiting for my next few treatments scheduled on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. They tried to give my veins a few days in advance to bounce back. Right now i am like a bruised pincushion , my face is half paralyzed , and I can sit up for short periods of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment